PART 1 GENERAL
A. Section Includes:
1. On-demand domestic hot water recirculating system with pumps, control boxes, water demand sensors, temperature sensors, and cables.
2. Connection to water piping and power supply.
B. Related Sections:
1. Division 01: Administrative, procedural, and temporary work requirements.
2. Section [22 0500 - Common Work Results for Plumbing:] [__ ____ - _______:] [Pump identification] [commissioning] [____].
3. Section [22 1100 - Facility Water Distribution: [__ ____ - _______:] [Domestic water piping] [____].
4. Section [26 0500 - Common Work Results for Electrical:] [__ ____ - _______:] Connection to power supply.
A. ASTM International (ASTM):
1. B271 – Standard Specification for Copper-Base Alloy Centrifugal Castings.
2. B505/B505M – Standard Specification for Copper-Base Alloy Continuous Castings.
B. International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) – Product Listing Directory.
C. International Code Council (ICC) – International Plumbing Code.
D. Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL) – Product Directories.
1.3 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
A. Domestic Hot Water Recirculation System:
1. Include circulation pump, control box, demand sensor (flow switch), and temperature sensor.
2. Operate based on actual user demand and temperature of recirculation loop.
1.4 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Manufacturer: Regularly engage in manufacture of hot water circulation systems of similar type to that specified for past 10 years.
A. Submittals for Review:
1. Shop Drawings: Show locations of pumps, control boxes, and sensors, power supply locations, and piping connections.
2. Product Data: Manufacturer’s descriptive data for pumps, control boxes, and sensors; describe operation, capacities, and power requirements.
B. Closeout Submittals:
1. Operation and Maintenance Data.
A. Furnish manufacturer’s 5 year warranty providing coverage against defective materials.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
A. Contract Documents are based on products by Enovative Kontrol Systems:
242 Hampton Drive
Venice CA 90291
Ph (866) 495-2734
Fx (866) 244-8639
B. Substitutions: [Under provisions of Division 01.] [Not permitted.]
A. Water Recirculating Pumps:
1. Product: D’MAND CIRC.
2. Motor: Two pole, single phase, certified and listed by UL and IAPMO Green UPC.
3. Type: Wet rotor.
4. Pump housing: Bronze, ASTM B271 and B505/B505M.
5. Stator housing: Aluminum.
6. Bearings: Aluminum oxide ceramic.
7. O-rings and gaskets: EPDM.
8. Universal flange-to-flange dimensions.
9. Axial thrust bearing: Metal impregnated carbon.
10. Bearing plate: Type 304 stainless steel.
11. Maximum noise level of pump and motor: 41dBa.
12. Head capacity curve: Steady rise in head from maximum to minimum flow within preferred operating region.
13. Operating characteristics: Sized to project requirements.
B. Control Boxes:
1. Product: D’MAND CIRC Control Box.
2. Switches: Three switches with ability to turn off controls and run pump continuously; one switch to select appropriate setting for type of demand sensor.
3. Potentiometer: Adjust temperature operating range at which temperature sensor shuts off pump.
4. Indicator LED: Diagnostic LED for observing demand sensor operation.
5. Auto prime jumpers: Three jumps for adjusting time interval at which system automatically primes circulation.
6. Control box: Waterproof plastic housing with connection ports.
C. Water Demand Sensors:
1. Product: D’MAND CIRC Sensor.
2. Low pressure drop.
3. Positive stop.
4. Line pressure: To 250 PSIG at room temperature.
5. Temperature: To 200 degrees F continuous at ambient pressure.
6. Flow range water calibrated at 70 degrees F.
8. Ultra Sensitive, detecting demand from single fixture.
D. Temperature Sensors:
1. Product: D’MAND CIRC Temperature Sensor.
2. Thermistor element contained within phosphorous deoxidized copper probe housing.
3. Maximum temperature rating: 105 degrees C.
4. Lead wire: 24 AWG, stranded, two conductor, PVC insulated.
PART 3 EXECUTION
A. Install hot water recirculation pumps and accessories in accordance with [ICC International Plumbing Code,] [applicable Plumbing Code,] [____,] manufacturer’s instructions, and approved Shop Drawings.
B. Install tee for demand sensor in water supply line. Install demand sensor in tee using Teflon tape.
C. Install water recirculating pump using O-rings between two flanges on hot water return line.
D. Connect control wires from water recirculating pump to control box. Attach control box to water heater/storage tank or to water recirculating pump using magnet.
E. Attach water temperature sensor to hot water return line, as far upstream as possible. Secure with plastic tie and wrap with insulation tape.
F. Connect water recirculating pump to power supply.
A. Test and adjust water recirculating system for proper operation.